The Zoom Q4 Handy Video Recorder combines Full HD 1080p video with Zoom's high-quality audio capture technology. Designed with musicians in mind, the Q4 features a pop-up 120° X/Y condenser microphone that lets you capture live studio performances, concerts, or videos of yourself playing with studio-quality sound. The Q4 also features a detachable flip-out 2.0" LCD screen unit, a lens with a wide 130° viewing angle, and outboard audio controls for quick access to settings such as gain, monitor volume, and low cut filter.
The Q4 captures HD video at 1080p/30, 720p/60, or 720p/30 to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards up to 128GB in size. It can also record WVGA video at 60 or 30fps. A micro HDMI port allows you to connect the camcorder to your HDTV to watch your footage. When it comes to recording audio, the Q4 provides a lot of options. When highest-quality audio is needed, you can record using 16 or 24-bit uncompressed WAV formats at 96, 48, or 44.1kHz. When audio quality isn't as important and you want to save space on your SD card, you can choose to record audio using the compressed AAC format with bit rates from 64 to 320kbps.
The Q4 provides an external stereo input jack with plug-in power for connecting external microphones and other audio devices, and a headphones/line output jack for listening to your audio. A USB port allows the Q4 to be connected to your computer or to an iPad using an optional iPad camera connection kit. This lets you transfer files and use the camcorder as a webcam for streaming audio and video. The USB port also provides power for charging the lithium-ion battery. An optional AC adapter is also available, sold separately. The Zoom Q4 comes included with the a lithium-ion battery that provides up to 3 hours of record time, a hairy windscreen and attachment screw, and a USB cable.
- Full HD 1080p Recording
- The Q4 captures video using the H.264 video codec, and offers Full HD 1920x1080 video at 30fps, as well as 720p video at 30 or 60fps. In addition, you can also choose to record standard definition WVGA formats at 30 or 60fps when smaller file sizes are needed.
- 2.0" Detachable LCD Screen Unit
- The 2.0" LCD screen can be rotated to be viewed from a variety of angles. When the screen is positioned to face the front of the camera, the image rotates so it is right side up. This is useful when recording videos of yourself playing. The LCD screen unit can also be detached, making the camcorder even more compact.
- Pop-Up X/Y Condenser Microphone
- The wide 120° pop-up X/Y condenser microphone give you professional-quality audio, making the Zoom Q4 ideal for shooting any kind of musical performance and sharing it with the world. The microphone features a maximum sound pressure input of 130 dB SPL, and an input gain of +7 to +47 dB.
- Outboard Audio Controls
- Outboard audio controls let you quickly adjust and fine-tune your audio settings. Select between Auto and Manual Gain control, enable the low cut filter, and adjust volume.
- Use as a Webcam
- Connect the Q4 to your computer via a USB cable to use it as a high-quality video and audio streaming webcam. The recorder can simultaneously transmit video of up to 720p and 48kHz/16-bit quality PCM audio to the computer. If the streaming application does not have a lip sync function, you can use the volume +/- keys to set the audio delay time so that it matches the timing of the video.
- Lighting Settings
- Choose among three different lighting settings. For most situations, choosing "Auto" will give you the best, clearest results, as it adjusts lighting conditions automatically. You can also select "Concert Lighting", which is better suited for live shows, concerts, and other situations with bright lights. Choose "Night" for maximizing results when recording at night or in dark environments.
- Combo Line In / Stereo Input Jack
- Use an external microphone or audio equipment by connecting them to the external stereo input jack. The jack can be activated to provide plug-in power to external microphones. When an external device is connected to the external input jack, the built-in X/Y microphone is disabled.
- Compatible with 3-Prong Action Camera Mount
- In addition to a 1/4"-20 threaded hole, the Zoom Q4 also features the same mount as GoPro cameras, making it compatible with a wide range of 3-prong action camera mounts. Attach the camera to a mic stand, clamp it to a guitar, or place it anywhere onstage or in the rehearsal room.
- Additional Features:
- Digital Zoom takes angle-of-view from 130° to 95°
- Combo line-in/stereo mic input jack for using external microphones
- Combo headphones/line output jack
- Built-in 400mW speaker
- iPad support for using Q4 as audio interface and mass storage
- HDMI output is NTSC/PAL switchable for multi-region viewing
- Hairy windscreen with attachment screw